Today We Know Preventing Financial Losses Due to Online Fraud.Preventing Financial Losses Due to Online Fraud. In 2022, banking services have become more easily available to consumers in even the most distant parts of the world because to technological advancements in the financial sector.Without a question, technological advancements have played a crucial part in revolutionizing this sector. It’s ironic that this trend has given con artists greater room to experiment with new ways to steal people’s money.
Customers choose online banking because it is more convenient than going into a branch to see account details or make a payment. According to a recent poll conducted by Bank rate, 44% of bank clients are now utilizing mobile applications to handle their banking needs. However, more people using it means there’s a greater potential for cyber security issues.In a public service broadcast, the FBI warned users about fraudulent banking applications that steal users’ account information. In order to prevent these types of cyber crimes, it was suggested to use safeguards such complex passwords and two-factor authentication.
In this excerpt from his book, cyber security expert Paul Benda recounts a moment when thieves attempted to access his bank account and take all of his money. The senior vice president of risk and cyber security policy of the American Bankers Association claims, “They found out my login, but didn’t know my password.”
Some Tips Thats Avoids You From Bank Fraud
- Always keep a close eye on what’s going on with your account. Get notifications sent to your phone or inbox in the event of any questionable behavior.
- Verify that the online bank’s site uses the secure HTTPS protocol and that the URL has been written properly.
- Develop safe practices with your passwords. Keep your online banking account secure by using a complex password. Include both letters and numbers as well as symbols. Keep your banking and other passwords separate. Incorporate periodic password changes.
- Don’t give out sensitive information over the phone or in an email. Your bank account number, PIN, OTP, and other sensitive information will never be requested by anybody who is not a legitimate bank employee.
- Put in the most recent versions of firewall, anti-spyware, and antivirus software on your computer.
- Never do electronic financial transactions from a shared computer or an insecure Wi-Fi network.
- Contact your bank immediately if you believe you have been the target of a cyber-fraud or scam and request that any subsequent transactions be frozen. First, file a report with the police, and then have your bank start the redressal (ombudsman) procedure.
- Find out more about the best methods for avoiding fraud. The best defense is a good offense, and that means knowing your surroundings.
Always ensure your own safety and the safety of others around you.
How Do Current Bank Robberies Occur
Now and again, con artists will come up with a scheme that really pushes the envelope. Here are a few that stand out:
- Phishing is the practice of sending fraudulent links to users by masquerading as legitimate bank emails.
- Spoofing, in which a website purporting to be that of a bank is used to obtain users’ credentials.
- Calling victims and pretending to be from the bank in order to get them to provide personal information and account passwords is called “vishing.”
- The practice of “skimming,” in which devices are secretly put on ATMs to capture cardholders’ PIN numbers, is on the rise.
- Smishing refers to phishing efforts made over SMS (SMS)
- Customer bank information may be stolen through SIM swapping.
India Today submitted an RTI request to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and learned that in 2021, there were over 80,000 incidences of financial fraud in India, costing over INR 1,300,000,000,000. Sadly, just little more than one thousand crores was retrieved from this enormous cash.
Over Rs. 5.31 lakh crore, or about $31 billion, was lost due to financial fraud in India between 2008 and 2021. However, the amount of money that was really found was just little above 50,000 crores
Everyone would be scared and motivated to be more careful with their money after hearing these numbers. The purpose of this piece is to examine the topic of personal finance management.
More Information: Click Here